Thank you for your interest in the 1st Kanata Scout Group Bike Exchange and Sale 2020.
With the current restrictions put in place to slow the spread of COVID-19, the 1st Kanata Scout Group Bike Exchange and Sale will not be held on 24/25 Apr 2020.
If it is safe to do a smaller version of the Bike Exchange and Sale may be held in the summer of this year.
Scouts Canada has also suspended all in-person Scouting activities at this time. So we will not be accepting any bike donations or running any Bike Repair Sessions until further notice.
Thank you for your understanding. We hope to see you later in the summer or at the Bike Exchange and Sale in 2021.
How to Sell a Bike
Mlacak Centre Ice Rink, 2500 Campeau, Kanata ON
Drop-off of is at the rear-corner of the arena.
For directions click here
Fri from 6-8 pm
Drop-off only, at the rear-corner door.
Sat from 7-8:30am
Drop-off at the rear-corner door.
Sat from 11:15-11:45am pick up unsold bikes/items and/or 80% of seller's price of item sold.
- HOW IT WORKS
Take your bike (or other items) to the Mlacak Centre (see times and location above).
When you arrive, there will be signs showing where to go.
PLEASE NOTE: we will take many bike related items; WE WILL NOT accept bike helmets.
If there is a-line up, there will be Scouts around who will offer you the opportunity to polish your bike a little, inflate the tyres, remove security-chains / locks - these things all help to increase the chances of selling.
Once you enter the rink area, you will be greeted by someone who will help you set a price for your bike. These people know bikes and will be able to discuss with you why they are suggesting a certain price. They know what sells and they know what people are willing to pay. Your bike may be worth more or less than you think or would like.
Take your bike to one of the registration tables. The person there will:
- Ask for your name.
- Ask for the amount you would like for your bike (we suggest you use the value provided by our pricers - but you don't have to).
- Ask you if you would like to donate the bike/item if it doesn't sell.
- Tag the bike and give you a receipt with the Bike's Tag number and the price you asked for.
- Give you information about collecting payment.
- Ask you for $1 for each item you register - please have change with you.
Your bike will be taken in to a rack.
- PLEASE NOTE: We will present the bike for sale in the condition that you bring it in - so please remove any locks or security-chains, ensure the tyres are inflated (there will be pumps at the main door) and give it a quick clean / wipe over.
If you are bringing a bike to donate, you can by-pass the line; just ask one of the Bike Exchange & Sale volunteers or scouts to take it from you. We may sell it this year or next depending on its condition.
PLEASE NOTE: you will not be allowed into the main selling area.
IF YOUR BIKE DOESN'T SELL
If you told us you would donate it, we will load it in our truck and return it to our workshop. Thank you :-)
NB. If you want it back, you should collect it before 12:00 - we'll tell you it hasn't sold when you come to collect your payment. NOTE - we have to exit the building by midday and any bikes/items not collected by then will be deemed to have been donated. We will load these bike onto our truck last - but once we are gone, then so is your bike.
If you have any questions, please e-mail us at Bikes@1stKanataScouts.org.
If your bike has sold (and most do) then you should arrive back at the rink between 11:15 and 11:45am on the Saturday morning to collect payment.
- Find the numbered table that corresponds with your Receipt / Tag Number.
- Present your receipt and collect your money. All money will have been put into an envelope with your Receipt Number(s) on.
- We will have retained 20% - so if you asked for $20 for your bike/item and it sold, you will find $16 in your envelope.
If you are not able to collect payment - please let us know by e-mail at Bikes@1stKanataScouts.org and we will try to get the money to you another way.